Vote, like and subscribe to us!

Join our Steam group! Join us on Discord!
Visit us on YouTube! Follow Us On Twitter

(some) Lootboxes are now considered illegal in The Netherlands!

1 reply
HOOAH!:
+310
https://nos.nl/artikel/2228041-populaire-games-overtreden-gokregels.html

The loot boxes that allow you to sell items for real-world money (Dota 2, PUBG, FIFA18, Rocket League.) are now considered to be breaking the nation's Gambling legislation, meaning that these games can now receive hefty fines and even be barred from sale altogether. The games that have been deemed gambling(I am not sure if they are the 4 stated above, the article doesn't specifically disclose this) will have 8 weeks to alter themselves to comply to the rules or said punishments will be dealt.

They also mention how games that have lootboxes that aren't sellable (i.e. you cannot get real money for them) are considered predatory, and take advantage of easilly influenced young adults and children, and recommend these companies to change their practices.

Of course, this is just what the current laws permeate as gambling. I wouldn't be surprised if we see laws being constructed that protect consumers specifically from these forms of gambling that currently use loopholes in the system to limit their intrusiveness as well.

In short, this is our first real look at legislation for gambling in videogames, consumer protection ftw!
Posted Apr 20, 18 · OP
List
Undo
HOOAH!:
+101
Huzzah!
Posted Apr 20, 18 · Last edited Apr 20, 18
List
Undo
NoticeNotices